Do you find it difficult to get a good night sleep at night? Do you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night? Does it bother you how you cannot rest at night even if you are exhausted for the day? If you answered yes to all these questions, then there is a high chance that you are suffering from a sleep disorder or what is commonly called as “insomnia.” www.familymattersinc.com/ considers this as a serious matter.
What is insomnia?
Insomnia is a mental health disorder that keeps a person experience inability to fall or stay asleep at night. It can cause troubles for the person who fails to get the right amount of sleep or rest may become cranky the following day.
At this point, it is important to emphasize that insomnia is not measured by how many hours a person had stayed up for a particular night. We need to take into consideration the quality of sleep of every individual. It means that even if you have slept for seven to ten hours for the day but still feel sleepy or tired during the day, then chances are you have insomnia.
These are the most common symptoms of sleep disorder:
- Failure to doze off despite the fact that one is completely tired or exhausted
- Waking up in the middle of night
- Experiencing difficulty in trying to go back to sleep
- Lack of focus for the following day notwithstanding the fact that you had a good sleep or rest
- Relying on the use of alcohol or sleeping pills to send you to sleep
- Finding yourself irritable during the day
To be able to treat your insomnia, it is crucial that you know the possible causes why you are suffering from this kind of disorder. Take note that there can be different approaches to curing this problem. The treatment depends on what is causing insomnia. These are the standard reasons why people go through it:
- Overdosing on pills
- Drugs or substance abuse
- Noisy surroundings
- Uncomfortable room or sleep environment
- Health problems
- Severe medical conditions
- Traumatic experience
- Physical discomforts
- Emotional troubles
Fortunately, insomnia is curable. It usually lasts only for a few days, especially if the necessary actions are taken right away. You can try to follow these tips and tricks to deal with the problematic sleep disorder:
- Clean up your room and bed. The look or feel of your room plays a significant part in your sleeping patterns. The more you make an effort to clean the room, the easier it is for you to go to sleep. There will be fewer distractions.
- Follow a sleep schedule. Create a sleeping pattern that you need to follow for months. The best way to start is to set a particular time of the night when you should go to sleep. Make sure to avoid using cell phones or doing other things during the chosen time.
- Do not overthink. Do you enjoy going over through all the things that happened in the day while you are in bed? This is good as it makes you feel more aware of what is going on with your life. However, once you start overthinking, then that is where the problem comes in. It can only increase the stress levels in your body.
If you are having severe problems with sleeping, the best option to take is to seek medical help. Visit your doctor as soon as possible.