Do you ever wonder if your sleeping pattern can affect your relationship with your partner? Have you noticed how your mood changes when you have a good night sleep? If you answered yes to these questions, then this article is perfect for you. We have laid down some of the possible consequences that lack of sleep can do to your romantic or intimate relationships:
Feelings of safety could influence cortisol levels and decrease anxiety, allowing individuals to sleep more restfully. — John Smith Ph.D.
- It Can Make You Feel Unwanted. Getting enough sleep can make you feel more beautiful and confident about yourself. Conversely, a lack of it can result in making you feel a little less attractive. According to a recent study, lack of sleep can result in the dryness of the skin as well as the development of eye bags. There is also a high possibility that the person who sleeps late may also develop breakouts of pimples and acne. Because of these, you may start withdrawing from the relationship.
- It Destroys Your Capacity to Make Choices. Making decisions is one of the essential things that must be discussed in the relationship. The couple needs to talk about the pros and cons of each option first, before making a choice. If you did not get a nice amount of sleep for the night before, then there is a high possibility that you would easily flare up against the other person. You might get cranky or angry the following day, which eventually leads to difficulty in making choices.
Fixating on sleep difficulties only increases the problem. Know that it takes some time, practice, and trial and error to develop optimal sleep habits and ultimately create better sleep. — Megan MacCutcheon, LPC
- It Makes Your Vulnerable. As already mentioned above, a person who did not get enough sleep may become cranky easily. This means that the said individual can make all small things seem more significant. Hence, the minor issues often end up becoming big deals, which lead to bigger fights and troubles for the partners.
- Decreases Happiness and Satisfaction. Because you are always tired from the lack of sleep, then it is only proper to say that you will be less participative in the activities that your loved one is excited about. For example, you will not like the idea of going out of town because you did not get enough sleep the night before.
As you can see, lack of sleep can cause some turmoil in your relationship with the other person. Because of this, it is crucial that you get enough sleep every night. Here are some tips on how to do it:
- Avoid using your phone or another gadget before sleeping.
- Create your bedtime schedule and strictly follow it.
- Do not drink coffee at least six hours before going to bed. Too much caffeine in the body can keep you up all night.
- Clean your room on a regular basis. Having a nice and neat environment can make it easier on your part to sleep right away.
- Clear your minds before going to bed every night. Stop thinking of things that can only disturb you and which may cause to delay in sleeping.
Avoid blue light (e.g., TV, smartphone, computer) approximately one hour before you want to fall asleep. — Lauren Woolley, PhD
So what do you think? Has a lack of sleep also affected your relationship with your partner? Share it with us today!